Getting ready for major surgery can be a nerve-wracking process. But with careful preparation and guidance from a highly skilled weight loss surgeon, you can go into your procedure with peace of mind and complete confidence. LAP-BAND® surgery is an experience that can change your life. It is important to stay positive, commit to the steps necessary to become successful, and look at a long-term plan for staying healthy after surgery.
Here are some things you can do to get ready for surgery and set yourself up for success:
- Learn all you can about the LAP-BAND® procedure through Web research, physician information, and talking to other LAP-BAND® patients.
- Make a list and have your weight loss surgeon answer all your questions about LAP-BAND®.
- Study the risks of LAP-BAND® carefully and talk to the surgeon about any areas of concern.
- Make sure you meet the candidate qualifications for LAP-BAND®.
- Talk to a qualified nutritionist about the dietary requirements necessary before and after the LAP-BAND® procedure.
- Review a few patient success stories for motivation and inspiration.
- Use a variety of weight-loss resources to review others experiences and better understand the effects of surgery.
- Make sure you have realistic expectations of what weight loss surgery can and cannot do for you.
Remember that losing weight and keeping it off is a gradual process that requires continuous effort and attention. To learn more about how you can prepare for surgery and understand your responsibilities, please contact Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum at Lap Band Rockies in Denver, Colorado.
—Lindsey Kesel, Bariatric Surgery Consultant