Follow Us On
Are you a candidate for LAP-BAND?
LAP-BAND® surgery may be right for you if your Body Mass Index (BMI) is over 30 and you have one or more co-morbidities including Type II diabetes, sleep apnea, hypertension, or joint pain.
Here are some of the things we will consider when evaluating your candidacy for obesity surgery.
- Your Motivation
The LAP-BAND® System may be right for you if:
- You are at least 18 years old.
- Your BMI is 30 or greater with Type II diabetes or other associated co-morbidities such as (hypertension, sleep apnea, orthopedic problems).
- Your BMI is 30 or greater (BMI is calculated by dividing body weight (lbs.) by height in inches squared (in2) and multiplying that amount by 704.5).
- You have been overweight for more than 5 years.
- Your serious attempts to lose weight have had only short-term success.
- You do not have any other disease that may have caused your obesity.
- You are prepared to make substantial changes in your eating habits and lifestyle.
- You are willing to continue being monitored by the specialist who is treating you.
- You do not drink alcohol in excess.
The LAP-BAND® System is not right for you if:
- You have an inflammatory disease or condition of the gastrointestinal tract, such as ulcers, severe esophagitis, or Crohn's disease.
- You have severe heart or lung disease that makes you a poor candidate for surgery.
- You have some other disease that makes you a poor candidate for surgery.
- You have a problem that could cause bleeding in the esophagus or stomach. This might include esophageal or gastric varices (a dilated vein). It might also be something such as congenital or acquired intestinal telangiectasia (dilation of a small blood vessel).
- You have portal hypertension.
- Your esophagus, stomach, or intestine is not normal (congenital or acquired). For instance you might have a narrowed opening.
- You have or have experienced an intra-operative gastric injury, such as a gastric perforation at or near the location of the intended band placement.
- You have cirrhosis.
- You have chronic pancreatitis.
- You are pregnant. (If you become pregnant after the BioEnterics LAP-BAND® System has been placed, the band may need to be deflated. The same is true if you need more nutrition for any other reason, such as becoming seriously ill. In rare cases, removal may be needed.)
- You are addicted to alcohol or drugs.
- You are under 18 years of age.
- You have an infection anywhere in your body or one that could contaminate the surgical area.
- You are on chronic, long-term steroid treatment.
- You cannot or do not want to follow the dietary rules that come with this procedure.
- You might be allergic to materials in the device.
- You cannot tolerate pain from an implanted device.
- You or someone in your family has an autoimmune connective tissue disease. That might be a disease such as systemic lupus erythematosus or scleroderma. The same is true if you have symptoms of one of these diseases.
While the LAP-BAND® System is an effective treatment for morbid obesity, the pounds do not come off by themselves. The LAP-BAND® procedure is an aid to support you in achieving lasting results by limiting food intake, reducing appetite and slowing digestion. However, your motivation and commitment to adopt a new lifestyle are extremely important for long-term weight loss. New eating habits must be adhered to for the rest of your life. Exercise is an equally important component of a changed lifestyle.
LAP-BAND® is a registered trademark of Allergan, Inc.